Struggling with live alerts

Home Forum Scent Training Struggling with live alerts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christina
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you so much for these brilliant resources. It is so hard to find any help at all with diabetic alert dog training here in Scotland so these videos have been a godsend!

I’ve been working with my dog for a while now, but I think I’ve gone wrong somewhere. She alerts brilliantly to scent samples, but struggles to alert to any live scents. I’m really conscious not to accidentally encourage her alert behaviour through body language but I’m not sure how to communicate to her that I do want her to alert to brand new fresh scent too?

Any advice much appreciated ♥

MDDogsAdmin
    Keymaster

Hi Christina!

Alerting correctly to samples is the first step so that is excellent that she’s doing very well with that! How long have you been working on scent training with your pup? Have you worked through all the steps or are you still progressing through?

When you are low or high and she hasn’t alerted, you can pair it with a sample – bring out a scent sample that is near what level you are at and then rub it on the back of your knee, hand, or foot. This will pair the sample with the live scent and may help bridge the gap for your pup.

Kevin Shuster
    Keymaster

Hope I’m posting in the right spot: For how I work with my breeders for scent. THIS IS GOOD STUFF. And if your breeder won’t do this willingly; it’s hard I know, but continue looking for someone engaged.

Dear breeder:

Enclosed please find uncontaminated cotton 2×2’s and separate containers; for when I pick up My dog:

one is to swab between teats, with the 5 differnt 2×2’s

the other is to swab around Mom’s anus.

Place the milky swabs under puppys sleeping mat in his new crate; His nose will tell him everything is ok even if so much is new. His nose-brain will sleep.

Place the “good poop” smell in his toileting run.

Then get ready to PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! tried and true.

Kevin Shuster
    Keymaster

Hello Christina, all the way from Scotland! Welcome!

The world of D.A.D.’s is large but diffuse. So I feel like you, there are no pro training assets that we’ve not outgrown.

Great response you got about spreading the scent on lower leg joints (knee, ankle, foot,) for some reason DAD’s smell knees maybe because they are more at nose level?

This is basic, but there are all levels of readers., pair the approximation of the behavior you want with a ______ party!
    Whatever your K9 finds most rewarding. Mo now wants “outside, or “car” much more than treats. He does have a cush life.

Would you be willing to share some background on the two of you?

William Baldwin
    Keymaster

Hi Christina,

I had a similar problem with my 1.5 year old Whippet. She did great job alerting me to hypoglycemic scent samples but initially had problems alerting me when I was in a hypoglycemic reaction….., so when I checked my blood sugar and noticed I was low (under 70 mg/dl) I encourage her to alert me while I was in the hypoglycemic reaction. Remember to have some orange juice available but I found I could work with my dog and encourage her to alert me and I would provide the reward. I found that as I worked with her while I was at the near 70 mg/dl range I was able to build her confidence to alert and progress in the training. I would work for maybe 5 or 10 minutes before I drank my orange juice but this helped my whippet’s confidence and helped our bond because she learned to recognize and acknowledge it was perfectly okay for her to alert me. This may be a little outside the norm for training but it did help my whippet, and I always made sure I took care of the hypoglycemic reaction without incurring any additional complications to me or my whippet.

Always insure you have the glass of orange juice and glucometer near you, so you can insure you and your dog can insure that if your blood sugars starts to really go down quickly you can drink the orange juice and check your sugars, while remaining in control of the situation. Don’t endanger yourself or your dog and when in doubt…., take care of the low blood sugar first!

Georgia Tate
    Keymaster

Training workbook has some qualities on it that were about the videos it needs to good some specifications. I will have to make some data on it that have essayshark this needs to put data according to the fact that was available at this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.